Saturday, November 13, 2004

Stroke Three

I arrive at the hospital, Tower 6 - ICU for Head Trauma. I run to the front doors, which are locked, so I search for a way in and spot the intercom for security, "My husband is in ICU and is having seizures, I need to get up there". I arrive on the 6th floor which is very quiet, all the families I have met with loved ones in ICU are sleeping in the family waiting room. I push through the ICU doors and rush into Clark's room, where I see 3 nurses trying to hold him down in his bed. He is having seizures and is very agitated. They have removed his gown, so he is unclothed and they are trying to keep him laying down, but he gets on his knees and starts to urinate. One nurse yells as she tries to push him back down, he is incontinent now, get the doctor back on the phone, the Ativan isn't working. Clark is saying, "Wrong, Wrong, My God, My God", he keeps repeating it over and over. I don't know how to describe to you, that those words caused me physical pain. I will never, never forget the anguish in his voice, as he continued to have seizures.
I joined them in trying to push him back down, talking to him at the same time, "Clark I am here, it is Ann - lay back down", but he is seizing and doesn't seem aware of anyone around him. We finally get him back down, but he is still having seizures. Katie the nurse tells me what has happened...

No comments: