Sunday, November 28, 2004

Beautiful Brown Eyes

Jamie the nurse is so excited. She is saying "Clark opened his eyes!! He opened his eyes!!" She was working with him, when she turned and looked at his face. He was just laying there staring at her. She leaned over and started talking to him, he reached up his hand to her chin and pulled her face down real close to his face and just looked at her. Jamie said she burst into tears. He then closed his eyes and went back to sleep.
All of the nurses are talking about it and of course I am reduced to tears.
Clark seemed to only respond to Jamie and myself from then on. He would squeeze our hands if we asked. Not everytime, but enough that my hope was growing. He would open his eyes just a little, for a small amount of time.
Clark would not respond to the doctors, it was if he was being stubborn or something. They would come in by theirselves or with a group of students, and would pinch him and do a sternum rub, etc., but Clark would not move a inch. Jamie said she thinks the doctors think we are making it up.
One day I was standing and talking to him, when he took my hand and raised it to his lips and kissed it 3 times. I can't describe to you how that moment was. Tears of joy were not lacking.
Clark tries to talk but the words are garbled so you cannot understand him at all. This makes my heart pound a little faster. The doctor has told me his Aphasia might be worse, and now we are finding out it is. So, I ask the question "Will his talking get better?" I already know the answer is, "We can't say, only time will tell". I will ask that question again and again, even though I know they can't tell me. But I can't resist, I keep hoping someone will give me an answer.
Clark's best friend Dick has come to visit and when Clark sees him, tears start streaming down his cheeks, which makes his friend start crying, and of course then me. Clark looks scared, but relaxes and smiles a little when his friend starts reassuring him. Dick tells Clark that he will be moved to Bennington Glen the nursing /rehabilation home by the end of the week. I had told Clark this already, but there was no reaction, this time though he listened very closely. You could see it in his eyes, that he was intently listening and very curious....

**Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.** Psalm 27:14

No comments: