Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Back Pain Please

Clark was having reccuring back pain from an automobile accident years ago, which he had surgery to correct. We went to the neurologist to get things checked out. The additional symptoms we gave the doctor besides the pain he was having in his back, was numbness on the inside of the lower right foot and calf. Tingling in the right hand, and others I can't remember, but they were enough to make the doctor suspicious. Clark was given a nerve test for his back, but was also given a carotid artery doppler and a catscan.
I walked in the door one day from work, to a yell from Clark, "Ann get on the phone".
He was talking to the neurologist, who was giving us some eye opening news.
"Clark, your left carotid artery is 90% blocked, your right is 60% blocked. You already have had a small stroke. The symptoms you are experiencing are from that stroke.
Whoa.....There went that ignorant bliss. Light bulbs started blinking on... back in February....
Ann: "Clark remember back in February when your vision went?"
Clark: "YES I remember"
Ann and Clark almost at the same time: "No wonder your handwriting is a mess"
Ann: "How could we be so blind!"
Clark: "I did suspect it, I just didn't want to talk about it".
See Clark used to be a paramedic, so he knew all the symptoms he experienced, pointed to a stroke. But, he didn't want to admit it. And me, well how in denial could I have been. I should have known, I should have done something sooner, because come to find out, Clark was in a fog, he didn't remember hardly anything after February 2003. I should have taken control of the situation, but it was so nice to just snuggle into "Mr. Denial and Ignorant Bliss".

Anyway, Goodbye Mr. Neurologist for now and Hello to Mr. Cardiologist.....
Oh, by the way......Back Pain? What Back Pain?


No comments: