Saturday, January 29, 2005

Graham Crackers

Clark had to have a "Peg" inserted during his stay in ICU, I believe I mentioned this in an earlier post. I added a link on my side bar for Tube Feeding, if you have an interest for more detail. That was one of those hard decisions for me, I understood what they were telling me, that it would be easier on Clark, rather then having the nose feeding tube. But, it felt like I was admitting to myself and to Clark that he might not being coming back so quick. I signed their form though and the next day they made me leave the room, so they could insert it. I wanted to stay and see what they do, but they encouraged me rather strongly to wait in the family room. Clark ended up having that tube for about 1 1/2 months. Which, really isn't to bad compared to most people, with a medical problem. I felt bad for him, after he came around and he would want to try solid food, but couldn't, everything was poured into his Peg.
The day finally came though for Clark to have his swallow test, they let me come along and watch. It was amazing to see Clark's bones in his skull. Not to many wives can say they know their husbands inside and out, and mean it literally. Anyway, they started with thicker foods first, and worked progressively down to liquids. I could actually see the food enter his mouth, chewing and then swallowing.
Well, after 26 days of no food by mouth, Clark was allowed FOOD. He passed the SWALLOW TEST. We went back to his room and they gave him a Graham cracker and I will never forget the smile of pure joy on his face. The cooing coming from his throat, it tasted soooo good ! I broke down in tears of JOY that he could finally eat something by mouth. The Peg had to stay in though for 6 weeks after insertion. Something, to do with the healing? I never understood the reasoning behind this fully. Maybe, someone can enlighten me, if they read this and know the answer.
Remember the next time you eat a graham cracker, slow down and really taste it and feel it, like you haven't eaten in months..... Oh, thank God for taste buds!

No comments: