Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Clark's new Language

Clark has aphasia bad enough that you can't hold a conversation with him. It isn't that his speech is slurred or anything, it is the words come out wrong. He also gets things reversed. For example, if I give him a picture of his sister and ask him who is this? He will say my brother, if I give him a picture of his brother, then that is his sister. So, son is daughter, daughter is son. Right is left and left is right. She is he and he is she. I am sure you get the idea. Clark didn't even realize it would come out wrong. If I told him no, that is your brother, he would say "yeh my sister". The therapist tell me that with aphasia a lot of time the people think the word comes out correctly, even when it doesn't. This can present some interesting challenges when trying to communicate. It took me a while to learn to decipher this new language. Clark even now, 1 year and 4 months later is still working on improving. I am happy to say he has come so far. He is a walking miracle as you will see as my story goes on.....

No comments: